Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Intro - "Willin"

The cover article of the December 9, 2010 issue of "Rolling Stone" (thanks for the subscription, Johnny) has 50 famous musical artists picking their personal top 10 songs, sometimes along with commentary about particular songs. It is a fascinating article, and got me to thinking about what would be on my list. So I'm starting a blog about my favorite songs.

Here's the format: The songs will be in no particular order. Whenever a song pops into my head, or I hear it on XM 46 (my only radio station), I'll post a link where it can be listened to, along with some commentary. I won't stop at 10 songs; the list will always be a work in progress.

To start things off, today the Linda Ronstadt song "Willin" popped into my head. I've always loved this song's attitude of perseverance in the face of adversity. Here's Linda's version (original lyrics by Lowell George):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szT7cPPDKq4

And here's a nice acoustical version by Lowell and Linda - live in 1975 on WHFS in Bethesda, Maryland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fTPQ0fVeN8&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment